Thursday, August 9, 2007

Encyclopedia of Me - G

G is for Grey - About two years ago I decided to stop coloring my hair and see what would happen. I thought it was great. The Tramp thought it was great. Other people were funny about it. This is what I wrote on the day:


Yesterday was the big day. 5:30 yesterday afternoon the last of the dyed hair was snipped off. We are now Au Naturelle! Proudly grey! Getting ready to turn 50 with pride! It's a slow process of course, the birthday isn't until the end of April, but it takes time to work up to these things don'tcha know.

It's an interesting process this growing out of the youthful color you were trying to preserve. Your hair becomes public domain, kind of like your belly does when you are pregnant. I found that people who would never normally dream of touching me would march right up and rub my belly when I was expecting.....WIERD. So in the same way, the hair has been fodder for public comment.. Everything from "You go girl!" to "How could you?" like I was destroying the American Dream or something. Lots of discussion by others my age (and older) about when and how and if they will ever go grey and interestingly also the fatalistic comment that we are all going to die of cancer anyway so it might as well be from hair dye!

Looking in the mirror is a trip and a half! I'm not used to it yet. Double-take city. This morning's arrival at work was quiet as this is a very small office. Two people didn't say anything. One was nicely complimentary and I got one Fucking Awsome! So I figure it can't be too bad. The Tramp likes it and that's the most important thing. Tomorrow and Sunday I'll be seeing a whole lot of people I haven't seen in a while and it'll be fun if I get some reactions, and if I don't that'll be ok too. What's really important is I just have to make sure I don't start seeing my mother in the mirror.......yet.

G is for Grandson - Not born yet, I have to wait for October for that. Here's the latest photo.

3 comments:

PaMdora said...

I've often wondered how you go from dyed to gray. I've been dyeing my hair so long, I don't know how much gray is under there, but I suspect alot!

meggie said...

Hi, this is my first visit to you. I am a Kiwi, who lives in the land of Oz.
I love the pic of your little grandchild! My little grandson is soon to be 5, on 14th October!
An, I like your hair very much. I would be grey too, as I cant be bothered with dye, but my hair seems to be greying very slowly... just strips & stripes!

Nan said...

Hello Katie! I have been wanting to come and visit you since you visited me, and I'm ashamed to say this is my first chance! I love that you have gone "au naturel" - good for you! I'm not doing that myself yet - I've colored my hair for soooooo long, I have NO idea what's under there - I'm ascared to find out!
The photo of your grandson is a true wonder! Congratulations!!