Saturday, October 6, 2007

Not so good week after all....

In my last post I said this had been a good week. And it was....but that all ended yesterday afternoon. My Mom, Dad and I were involved in a car crash. We had a lovely day driving up to Wake Forest to Quilts Like Crazy, had lunch at the Olde English Tea Room, and browsed The Cotton Company. We stopped for groceries and were heading home when BANG.

An elderly (age 92) gentleman drove his car out of a parking lot right in front of us without even pausing. We hit him going about 50mph. Dad (age 85) was driving and couldn't and didn't do anything different than I would have done. There was just no chance of avoiding the collision.

The airbags and seat belts did their job. We were able to get out of the car and walk around while the other driver was taken away all neck braced and strapped up in the ambulance. As soon as the car was towed away The Tramp bundled us all in our car and took us to the ER. We had all felt pretty good considering, but once the adrenaline wore off it became apparent Dad was not doing well. He is currently in ICU with a cracked sternum and they are watching him very closely because of pressure on his heart. He's just about the healthiest 85 year old I know but this was just too much.

Mom and I have chest contusions but our x-rays were clear. I have the most spectacular bruise across my abdomen! So we're moving slowly and not much sewing is going to happen for a bit despite all the yummy fabrics I bought yesterday.

Makes you think.......

5 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear your news. I hope you all make a full recovery..especially your dad. It's shocking the number of people that are still driving in their 90's..just as dangerous as the young ones who have just passed their test.
Sending you cyber (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I'm terribly sorry about your accident, but glad you and your mom are OK . . . I hope your dad will be fine, too.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Oh no, that's terrible news. Hopefully your dad recovers soon. Thank goodness for airbags and seat belts!

Nan said...

OMG, Katie! How awful! You just never know what curveball life is going to throw at you, do you? Thank God for seatbelts and airbags!

Nan said...

So very scary. I'm just glad you are all mostly alright. It is frightening how life can change in a second's time.