Monday, September 22, 2008

A computer day

Today is a computer day. Mostly sitting at my counter working on the guild newsletter and watching this tree come down. It was scheduled for today anyway, no one has shown up yet. We're all sad about it but not willing to risk anymore limbs falling on houses, gardens and people.


While I work my furry friends stay close. Either nagging me for attention...

or wrestling practically under my feet and saying, "who, me?" when I suggest they calm down for a bit...

or settling in for a session of face washing. :-)


Last week I made this "tulip" bag from Janice Pope's pattern. I would use different interfacing and batting next time, but I like it. She showed off her updated pattern at the guild meeting and I look forward to trying that one too.


On Friday I went down to Mom and Dad's house for lunch. Mom and I decided to combine our sets of bullseye blocks from the Karolina Kwilter's recent swap. We spread them out on the floor to see what the effect would be. Then while Mom and Belle took their nap I browsed online for photos of various layouts.


Dad supervised while I arranged them. He's got a good eye for form and color and spots all our mistakes for us. :-D


So I think I'll put it together something like this. It's a funny angle but I was being lazy and took the photo with my phone from where I was lounging. :-)


Yesterday The Tramp and I went to the new Raleigh Convention Center to see the RV show. It's the first time we've actually walked around the center of Raleigh. We need to go back to see more! The dome in the distance is the state capitol building. Lots of new building going on all around.


We parked near this building. I couldn't resist the mural on the side of the Lincoln Theater. If you can't see it, Abraham Lincoln is in the driver's seat.


The new convention center, on the whole, is quite impressive. The official opening was only a few weeks ago, September 9th I think. My only quibbles on this first trip there would first of all be with the choice of carpeting. Ugly, ugly, ugly with a dizzying pattern and already shredding at the bottom of the escalators. Maybe because it's so new those shreddy bits have to wear away but I certainly noticed and thought it looked awfully ratty for such a new building. And then of course I could comment on the restrooms which are also looking old already. But you don't want to hear me rant about loose toilet seats and the use of stainless steel for the stalls. Ick.

But I'll rant anyway. :-P Sigh....I know it's the "in" thing, but I just don't get why one would use stainless steel for walls and doors when it looks dirty as soon as the first person gets their fingerprints on it. I've seen it in new restaurant toilets too. Unless you plan on polishing it up throughout the day (which no one does) you can see where everyone has touched the doors and walls all day long and it's sooooo skeevy. In this case it wasn't even the restroom near the action so it looked like days and days of fingerprints. Ewww.

But, the RVs were what we came to see. Acres of small and not so small houses on wheels. Our legs got so tired from climbing in and out of them all! We don't plan on buying one but after seeing so many we now know what features and layout we'd like if we did! We also enjoyed speculating how all these huge vehicles were transported and how they got them all sorted out and parked in the building. Someone is a good organizer! It was a fun afternoon.



7 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Your dogs are so adorable! Looks like you had a good time at the RV show -- I'd love to have one of those but I think I'll hold out until they can be powered by waste or something LOL!

Tine said...

The bulls-eye-blocks look gorgeous! I am really impressed with those curves!

Joyce said...

Absolutely love your layout for the bullseye blocks.
What interfacing and batting did you use for your purse and what do you wish that you had used?

Eileen said...

I love your pretty hardwood floor. Someday I need to get my old one refurbished.

Fiber Babble said...

Oh, where to start? The dogs. Precious. Way precious.

Your bullseye? Great! Is it raw-edge or turned? Nice layout - choosing just the right one can sometimes take as long as making the blocks in the first place!

Your Tobacco Road quilt is looking fabulous. Those shirtings (?) really make it sparkle. And though it sure seems like a lot of extra work, it seems to be worth it!

Now, about the stainless steel stalls and fingerprints. Eeeww. I can manage in the world jut fine until I notice or someone points out something like this. Good thing I carry Purell.

My most recent realization? Fast food drive through windows. You give Suzy Cheerleader your money, she hands you your food and grabs some of those hot sauce or ketchup packets. You can't open the packets, so you tear it with your teeth. Now your mouth has touched where Suzy has touched... with her hands that have just touched money cooties. {sigh} :-D

meggie said...

Every time I see the dogs, I picture them appearing & disappearing around your machine!
What a nice interesting post.
The bullseye blocks look great in that layout.

Lynn said...

The bulls-eye blocks look great laid out. I haven't even played with mine yet. Today may be a good day to do that (with the rain).