Monday, January 9, 2017

You would think.....

We've been iced in since Friday evening so you would think I could have found time to write before now.  But no.  Seemed like a good time to take off from everything and just sew.  So I have sewed.

Back in November I had to finish up my gift for my SSCS partner and get it mailed off to Fiona in Australia.  I made a tiny world pincushion for her and am happy to report that it arrived in one piece.


I hope she enjoys using it.  I use mine all the time.  It's easy to grab and move from table to table.  Pins all around and needles in the house....and thimble on top like a chimney.  :-)


I also sent one of these hot chocolate ornaments to Fiona.  This is part of the batch I made for family members.  So cute!


Like I have nothing else to do, I joined Molli Sparkles Honey Pot Bee group on Facebook.   The first block he shared was this cute wonky tree.  I grabbed the first fabrics I stumbled over which were waiting to be put away in the stash.  They happened to be pink and grey and I made up a few blocks.  So far my version is not very exciting so it's been put away to age for a while.


The Viking chose these fat quarters at Walmart ages ago.  I finally put his pillow together for him.  He is quite pleased with it.



I also dug out this old UFO.  It's a jacket I started at a workshop with Karen Eckmeier at least three years ago.  I got stuck when I didn't like some of the quilting I'd done and it's been waiting for me to sit and unpick.  The jacket is finally done.  I just need to get a photo of it!


The Viking decided to wear his jacket upside down on this day.  Love the attitude!


Stardust looking bright and Christmassy.


The Tramp and I even went out to dinner for the first time in a very long time.  A nice treat!  This restaurant seems to be very careful about their gluten-free cooking and we haven't had a problem.  So The Tramp enjoyed some pizza without worrying.


Christmas Eve we joined the neighbors setting out luminaries.  It was drizzling a bit but not enough to douse the candles thank goodness.


The Sailor Son was able to get away and join us for a few days.  He and the dogs always have a good time.  :-)


Pretty Christmas Eve view from the front door.


And a lovely Christmas morning.  I made bacon and egg pie again this year which everyone enjoyed. Gifts too of course!


My other SSCS partner sent me this wonderful stitchery.  Love those snowmen!  Thank you so much Maria.


Dawn, one of The Quilting Babes, sent us all a color wheel cushion cover.  It was the perfect size to go over one of the old cushions on the couch.  Love the splash of color.  :-)


Colorful gifts all around.


We took The Sailor Son, The Viking and Dad to see the Rolling Sculpture exhibit at the North Carolina Museum of Art.


The cars were spectacular.  We could only speculate how much money on wheels was in the building.  Wow.  It was all a bit above The Viking's head, but he did pose for a few photos.  Not sure why he insisted on posing with his mouth open in front of this one.  :-)



The descriptive information was very interesting and The Tramp bought the accompanying book so we could all read it at our leisure.  My absolutely favorite car was this Hispano-Suiza, a one of a kind.  It was huge.  Most of the cars were huge.  Something you just don't realize until you are standing next to them.




On Friday the rain started and during the night the temperature dropped significantly.  We were on the line between sleet and rain and multiple inches of snow.  We got less of the snow, but since it is still frigid outside, and will be tomorrow as well, we are still stuck indoors.


We did go out to scrape what we could off our steep driveway so the sun could do it's work.



This was this morning.  Brrrrrrrrrr!


So I've holed up inside and worked on the En Provence mystery quilt.




I plan to get the rest of the rows put together tomorrow and get started on the borders.  I can't wait to see it in one piece!

The New Zealand grands are enjoying their summer holidays though I've heard there's been some quite chilly days.  In contrast to our near record cold snap, we are supposed to have spring-like weather by the end of this week.  It's a crazy weather roller coaster everywhere it seems.



2 comments:

Tine said...

Those chocolate mug ornaments are amazing!! I have always wanted to make an ornament for everyone in the family for Christmas. It just hasn't happened yet 😳 Maybe this year?! Looking forward to seeing the jacket!

Jenny said...

Lots of great family and sewing photos here Katie. Love your pin cushion in a cup. And your Provence quilt is really coning along well - it's beautiful. You must be so pleased with it!
Summer down here in New Zealand has been chilly sadly where we have been hanging out - although there have been quite hot temperatures in other parts of the country.